The Makeover : Unexpected Challenges
The house as I had left it years ago.
Click the images for larger pictures (if you dare...)
Fighting layers and layers of paint, glue and paper I made several discoveries.
Changes I made
The problem was that the roof, which was obvioulsy produced with much care and knowledge with all these ankles coming from all sides, was made from scraps, which now threatened to come loose (see last picture of this section).
They were partly held in place by a very bulky strip of wood running along the inner side of the roof top. This thing would now be visible. I did not dare removing it, because I was afraid I would never be able to fit the parts together so neatly again. I thought it also impossible to build a new roof like this, or to cover the woodstrip. What could be done?
Finally, I decided to keep it, stain it, and add some vertical strips to resemble a visible roof construction.
(How this is being done is documented in the second section of this report, see below.)
Two walls on the ground floor were so fragile that they would have to go;
I later put in more sturdy plywood walls.
The hardest part is when you look for a solution and you know there is one, but it is just beyond your reach...
I had problems figuring out how the new attic should be attached to the existing structure. I decided to preassemble the whole section, thereby trying to build it to the exact outer measurements of the walls below, and use the double method of glueing it on and nailing a slim strip of wood over the joint.
Somewhere in my head lurks a suspicion that this might not be the most elegant method, but I do not know any better.